Pages

March 19, 2016

Sea Day #3

Saturday, March 19

Two days at sea completed...two more to go. Must mean we are in the middle of the Pacific...about half way to Hawaii!

Pitching, heaving, rolling, swaying...all terms I found online to describe ship movements. I think we experienced all of these during the night! :) Again, the faint light peaking through the edge of the curtain must have woke me and as I slowly became conscious I was amazed at how loud the sound of the waves were in the room. (I had left the balcony door open a crack during the night to get fresh air.)

To get to the balcony, I had to carefully squeeze past the end of the bed. The bed was just inches from the wall and with Bob's feet hanging over the end, I had to be careful not to bump into him and wake him. When I pulled back the curtain to look outside I realized that the balcony door had slid open ALL of the way during the night...no wonder the sound of the waves was so loud!

I sat outside listening to the sounds of the ocean and watched the sun until it was up a distance into the sky...and then...I went back to bed!



I got up a second time around 7:15 and by the time I had showered and dressed, Bob was coming to life. Breakfast was in the Aloha Cafe.

The morning activities didn't have anything that interested us so Bob and I walked around the promenade deck. Three laps = one mile, but due to construction the forward part of the track was blocked off. We would walk as far as we could one direction and then turn around and walk until we hit the closure in the other direction. I don't think I quite got in a mile before I went back to the cabin and left Bob walking by himself.

I spent some time updating my journal in the room. When Bob came back from his walk he stayed just long enough to meet up with Kent so the two of them could go to the gym. I enjoyed having a quieter morning with no place I needed to be. It gave me a chance to do my nails and also spend some time visiting with Laurel in her cabin.

At noon, all four of us went to the theater for the Lauhala Ribbon Weave Lei Class. We were given two very long pieces of ribbon and Kaulana, the Hawaiian Ambassador, taught us how to weave the ribbon into a lei. He jokingly said it would be the "hardest easy thing we ever had to do"...and that pretty well summed up the process. It took some concentration and effort to get started, but then it wasn't so bad. Bob's face shows the frustration he was feeling at the beginning...


Lunch followed the lei class and then Bob, Kent and I attended "Magic 101" with Matt Marcy, the magician from the previous night. (Laurel went back to the cabin to rest. Too much late night dancing!) Matt Marcy answered audience questions about his career and magic in general and then taught us all two different magic tricks. (Spoiler alert...one card trick involved gluing two cards together back to back!) The guys went straight from there to the daily origami class to make a Humuhumunukunukuapua'a (a fish.) After that Bob and I took our turn for a nap while Kent and Laurel attended the swing dance class.

Besides using the Freestyle Daily to keep track of activities, I had downloaded the Norwegian iConcierge app for my iPad. The app allowed me to get on the ship wi-fi, and access NCL information such as the daily schedule, restaurant information, shore excursions, and my personal account information. For a one time fee of $7.95 the messenger feature of the app made it possible to text others on the ship who also had the app. I did not want to carry my phone or iPad with me around the ship so did not use the messenger. The interactive TV in the cabin also allowed access to pretty much the same information.














No comments:

Post a Comment