Thursday, March 6, 2025
Just like Antigua, Guadeloupe was another new port for us. This island was added to the itinerary to replace St. Lucia which was dropped last fall.
The Eurodam was scheduled to dock at 7 am, but it was closer to 8:00 as we were eating breakfast that the ship finally came to a stop. Shortly after that, cruise director, Valerie, announced that the ship had been cleared and passengers could go ashore. She explained the delay was due to the Costa Fascinosa arriving just ahead of us and there had been a problem getting a pilot for our ship. To make up for the later arrival, our all aboard time had been moved from 5:30 pm to 6:00.
![]() |
| Taking the glass elevator to the Lido Deck for breakfast. |
Not knowing much about the island of Guadeloupe, we had booked an excursion through Holland America rather than finding an independent tour operator. Our tour, the Salty River Catamaran Adventure and Reef Snorkel, met near the ship but it was a rather long walk to get to where we were to board the catamaran. When we got there we all took one look at the boat and were surprised it was NOT a catamaran, but a pontoon boat. I questioned the tour leader and he took offense and insisted it WAS a catamaran, but it in no way resembled the catamaran we had been on in Bonaire. The man sitting next to us was also a bit upset. The seating on the boat was limited for such a big group and Michelle and I ended up sitting on the storage box for the snorkel gear. At least we were under the canopy and out of the sun.
Our tour began by sailing down the Salty River and passing through a mangrove forest on both sides of the river. Once we reached open water they started passing out snorkel equipment to those that needed it. It was quite a long distance before we reached the reef where the snorkeling would take place.
Michelle had decided she wasn't going to snorkel and I had planned to stay on the boat with her. At the last minute I decided I would go in for just a little while. They divided the passengers into two groups. The first group were the ones that wanted to go a little further and Bob and Jon joined in with them.
The second group was going to stay closer to the boat. Using the fins in Bonaire had been hard on my knee so I decided I would just go without this time. I did have a noodle and floated close to the boat. Since I wasn't trying to keep up with the group, I was able to relax and just float above the coral beds. There really wasn't too much to see but I did see a few fish.
| This was the reason I chose to snorkel away from my group. I dislike getting slapped in the face with someone's fins! |
I got back into the boat before the others in my group returned. I was concerned about getting up the ladder, but there were railings that I could use to hang onto and I had no trouble.
Once everyone was back on the boat, we motored to a small island that looked like a small version of Gilligan's Island! It was a protected part of a national park and no one was allowed to be on the island. (We were warned repeatedly to NOT step foot on the island!) Many boats were anchored just off shore and guests were wading through the hip-high water. Fruit juice or rum punch was offered on our boat and many took their glasses into the water with them to enjoy.
| Ahhh...that beautiful water! |
On the return trip, we took more time going through the mangrove forests. The guide was giving lots of information but his French accent was so heavy that I understood very little of what he said. I told Bob he sounded just like Peter Sellers in the old Pink Panther movies!
| A bird sanctuary on a group of small islands. |
| A break from a hair appointment? Or the latest in headwear? |
| Spice Market |
With the guys gone, Michelle and I changed into our swimsuits and spent an hour or so at the Sea View Pool. The sun was hot, so right away I got in the water to cool off. Quite a few others had the same idea...there were as many people in the pool as I had seen since we boarded the ship two weeks earlier. Here are a few photos I took from the ship.
Bob had returned and was asleep in the cabin when I got back. He had the curtains closed because there were workmen literally right on the other side of the window. I showered and then rested for a while.
Jon had planned to find a restaurant in town that the tour guide had recommended but thought the area looked too seedy and didn't go. Since he was hungry, he suggested we go to the Dive In for supper. He and Michelle did order from there but Bob and I went through the line at the buffet. Bob had some orange ginger pork with rice and I had beef roulade, Parmesan zucchini, cabbage and mashed potatoes.
The ship pulled away from the dock while we were eating and we went outside to watch.
| The slave museum where Jon had gone. |
The four of us met back up at the theater for Ric Steele's show. He was billed as a guitarist but his real strength were his vocals. His song choices leaned towards country but he did others as well. We all really enjoyed the show and will try and go back for his second performance in a few days.
Bob wanted a night time snack so we went to the Sea View Pool where he could get some pizza. Rather than order a pizza, he just had some of the ready made slices that were available.
We are half way through the string of six ports...tomorrow will be Dominica.


No comments:
Post a Comment