Pages

February 7, 2024

Honolulu...Day 2

 Wednesday, February 7, 2024

For our second day in Honolulu we had considered various options. The plan that had risen to the top of the list was to take the public bus and walk around downtown and then spend some time at Waikiki Beach. But after the previous long day I just wasn't up to the walking. 

Good morning, Honolulu. Photo taken from back of Koningsdam looking towards the Aloha Tower.


I don't have any blog notes from this day and very few photos so I can only guess at how I spent my day. The daily newsletter had very few activities listed so I assume I probably spent time in the room listening to my audio book and probably taking advantage of the warm weather by going to the pool.

I do know what Bob did...he started by going to the gym and took these photos out the window while he was there.



...and then he took off on a walk about Honolulu. The following were some of the photos that he took while he was exploring the city.

Aloha Tower



Chinatown






Dinner was in the main dining room and we finished just in time to walk out onto the promenade deck and enjoy a beautiful sunset.




Pacific Style Shrimp


Mahi-Mahi


At 8:00 pm we went to the main theater for the performance of "In Tandem" by the Step One Dance Company, a show that we had seen previously. When we returned to our cabin there was a note card stuck in the slot by our door. I opened it to read:

We have attempted to contact you but have not been able to reach you. We would like to give you an update regarding your Navigator Feedback. Kindly contact us at Guest Services by dialing "90" or visit us on Deck 3, Midship. Thank you.

Bob and I went down to guest services, curious to find out what they would say. Daisy (who had been so sympathetic about our noise issue on Day 1) was on duty behind the desk said they had a cabin available and asked if we were interested in moving. She suggested we go take a look at the room before deciding and the three of us headed off to Deck 5.

The available cabin (5048) was right by the forward elevators and turned out to be a larger ADA accessible room with a unique layout compared to other verandah cabins. But the biggest difference was the balcony. It was HUGE! Yes...we were definitely interested in switching rooms!

By then it was after 9 pm so I assumed they would tell us we should move the next day. But no...if we wanted, they would get someone to help us move right away! We went back to our cabin and started haphazardly packing. They were going to have someone with a rolling rack come to take all of our hanging clothes, but Bob just started making trips and by the time someone from housekeeping showed up almost everything had been moved.

Here are some photos of the cabin. You can see other photos on the website HalFacts in case you are interested.




That is the bathroom door next to the desk. The TV was on a swivel arm and could be pulled out from the wall to view from either the small couch or the bed.


There were some hooks on the wall next to the bed and we brought extra magnetic hooks.

The door to the hallway was on the left of this photo.



The balcony was angled in a way that blocked some of the wind as the ship was moving. It was also large enough that we could move the chairs back and avoid getting wet if it was raining.

At the beginning of the cruise I had heard that the ship was sold out so who knows how this cabin became available. The thought that perhaps someone had died in the cabin crossed my mind, but at that point I didn't ask and I didn't care. I was overjoyed to know we would no longer be dealing with the loud music late at night AND we were going to have the rest of the cruise to enjoy that massive balcony!

By the time we got settled into our new home it was just too late to work on my blog notes. Hence most of today's post is a bit vague...but given the circumstances I don't regret the lack of details one bit!

2 comments:

  1. One glimpse of that veranda and I would have been packing my bags. Glad to see things worked out for the better. [Erin/Two to Travel]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...the new cabin was wonderful...and quiet!

      Delete